|Various Artists / Cambodian Rocks Vol. Ⅳ|
|Album:||Cambodian Rocks Vol. Ⅳ||Collection:||World|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Sep 2011|
|Add Date:||2011-10-02||Pull Date:||2011-12-04||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Dec 4||Nov 27||Nov 20||Nov 6||Oct 30||Oct 16|
|1.||Jan 13, 2015:||Plumbotectonics |
|4.||Jul 25, 2013:||maximum entropy |
Have You Seen Love
|2.||May 17, 2014:||Live Your Life |
|5.||Mar 17, 2012:||New World Disorder |
Don't Be Upset
|3.||May 03, 2014:||Live Your Life |
I'm All Skinny
|6.||Dec 03, 2011:||New World Disorder |
Cambodian Rocks Vol IV|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 9/30/11
My god, I love these comps! Wild psych-garage from 60’s Cambodia, with truly unique vocals and lots of sloppy fuzz guitar. Check out the lyrics in the book – crazy Khmers! Since most of this is from Cambodian flea market finds, the sound quality is generally pretty funky, but that just adds to the charm.
1. 2:27 ***stuttering guitar frug-garage with farfisa, high female vocals (one of the two main artists featured on these comps.) World’s sloppiest and fuzziest guitar solo!
2. 3:35 ****big psych-garage hard rock chords – think Steppenwolf or Amboy Dukes, at least until the vocals start… Fuzz-tastic!
3. 3:05 ***kinda 60’s bubble gum, and kinda fuzzy, adorable female vocals. The effect of fuzzy bubble gum is GNARLY.
4. 3:09 ****high-pitched oboe (?) and wah-wah guitar. That oughta mess some heads… Gets an extra star for the great sounds of the last few seconds.
5. 4:18 **inscrutable band and adenoidal vocals. Gosh!
6. 3:04 ****happy little go-go boppity pop, yodel-y female vocals.
7. 6:28 *****very stoned garage-psych – great pompous guitar and vocals, all about his cigarette addiction. Utterly epic.
8. 3:17 ***big horns intro, then bouncy 60’s pop duet. Totally odd instrumental break.
9. 2:42 **even muddier sound that everything else… Rather ordinary 50’s white pop sound with female vocals at first, then midtempo 60’s pop with lotsa fuzz, male vocals.
10. 3:08 ***uptempo groovy 60’s pop, going psych for the break.
11. 3:13 ***terribly dramatic garage pop, disturbing male singing and spoken duet. All about a wife who rips off her husbands pants in front of the neighbors.
12. 2:19 ***wild drum intro, then poppy bopper with female vocals. Gnarly farfisa and stuttering guitar break.
13. 3:06 ***psych-fuzz intro, sort of a mambo-baby groove, pleasant male vocals. Farfisa solo from hell, guitar solo from hell at end.
14. 3:18 ***big fuzz intro, then swingy groove with female vocals almost overwhelmed by all the fuzzy noise.
15. 3:28 ****garage pop intro, then hyperactive bongos and rather disturbing vocal duet. Bongo solo!
16. 3:48 ***rather good (!) wah wah intro, sweet little boppy pop with female vocals.
17. 2:48 ***boopy boppy cover of Sugar Sugar. Sweet!
18. 3:34 ***slow, bluesy flute song of heartbreak, dandy vocals. Some sort of violinish thing puts it right over the top.
19. 3:24 ***slow and heartrending with squeaky violins, male vocals.