|Starfire, David / Bollyhood Bass|
|Artist:||Starfire, David||Added:||Aug 2011|
|Label:||Six Degrees Records|
|Add Date:||2011-08-28||Pull Date:||2011-10-30|
|Week Ending:||Oct 30||Oct 9||Oct 2||Sep 18||Sep 11|
|1.||Jul 28, 2013:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Oct 29, 2011:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Jun 23, 2012:||New World Disorder |
|5.||Oct 06, 2011:||Hi, Keefak, Ça Va? |
|3.||Jun 09, 2012:||New World Disorder |
|6.||Sep 29, 2011:||Futurebeat Radio |
David Starfire – Bollyhood Bass|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 8/25/11
South-Asian (etc) inspired dance/electronica, with bits of Caribbean/hip hop/creole funk. Significant Bhangra element, with electronics tending towards dubstep and future dub. Quite an entertaining mashup.
No FCCs detected – everything is excellent.
1. 4:24 ***pretty, high-pitched tingies and whoobles with a bit of hand drums, then midtempo club electronica with sitars and dubsteb woobles.
2. 3:42 ***downtempo, mellow, but with a strong thump, switching to midtempo with big dhol sound, pretty female vocals in Spanish.
3. 2:50 **bit of orchestral flourish, then downtempo Arabesque/raga with a funky backbeat.
4. 3:19 ***slow Bhangra with gnarly woobles, female vocals in Hindi.
5. 4:47 **beat boxing and acoustic guitar, Caribbean vibe, hip hop vocals.
6. 4:10 ***cobra-charming horn and funky percussion, uptempo, jungly.
7. 4:09 **electronic squonks and pretty female South Asian vocals, heavy jungle dub, downtempo.
8. 3:29 **similar to the last track, female South Asian vocals with woobles. Actually, the closest, IMO, to “Bollywood” sound on the record.
9. 4:14 ***very swingy downtempo groove with lots of hand drub and sitar. A bit of scratching, just for spice.
10. 3:22 ***Bhangra – and electronic buzz, and fun hip hop vocals.
11. 4:51 ****cobra charming horn, Bhangra beat, classical Indian style beatboxing (kathak?), whoobles, glitch. Gosh!
12. 3:46 ****funk beat with extra tabla beats, uptempo and upbeat. Bit of Bhangra stringed instrument, and of course, woobles. Also, fun male Bhangra-style vocals.
13. 5:10 ***ooooh, very pretty and mysterious, Moghul-sounding. Downtempo with big plodding beat and layers of other percussion. Also a bit of dancehall DJ vocals and future dub.
14. 4:45 **terribly pretty cover with female vocals, piano and whooms, as well as a complex downtempo beat.
|2.||Mystic Whomp||9.||Flying Carpet|
|5.||Shout It Out (Featuring Lynx & Jamie Janover)||12.||Ashes|