|Interstellar Overdrive / Hibernation|
|Artist:||Interstellar Overdrive||Added:||Mar 2009|
|Label:||Studio 2 Records|
|Add Date:||2009-03-22||Pull Date:||2009-05-24|
|Week Ending:||May 17||Apr 12||Apr 5||Mar 29|
|1.||May 13, 2009:||The Songsmith Show |
|4.||Mar 27, 2009:||Elastic Waistband |
Music To Swim In
|2.||Apr 09, 2009:||A2Z with Ragnar |
|5.||Mar 26, 2009:||Z2A |
|3.||Apr 02, 2009:||A2Z |
|6.||Mar 25, 2009:||Brownian Motion |
A Short Piece For The Poison-Man
(Good) Greek indie rock. Manages to fluidly move all over the map in terms of music. Lots of elements of spaghetti-western like twanginess a la Calexico, some elements of post rock a la Tortoise, maybe some of the noisy aspects of Sonic Youth, as well as the instrumentation style and the vocals of Tindersticks. Would make excellent background music for a new style exeprimental Parisian lounge. Some of the pieces have been used as a theater play soundtrack, while others were used as background music for an art exhibition. For fans of Tindersticks, Calexico, Deus, Pontiak, Sonic Youth.|
Picks: 2,3,5,8,11,12,14 *** No FCCs ***
1. nature samples lead into a bright little piece of shoegaze, followed by some celtic music samples...
*2. very Spiritualized-like downbeat ballad with throaty male vocals, very well done
*3. background music for a fancy latin lounge bar. Tom Waits would enjoy listening to this while chilling out
4. weird female background vocals. has a definite feeling of urgency and uneasiness
*5. first bit has a western feel like Calexico. second bit gets loud and noisy like Sonic Youth. somehow it works well
6. noisy and experimental. could be a Four Tet piece. deep percussive sound followed by some kind of harp. increases in intensity towards the end.
7. pretty chilled feeling here. soft female vocals go well with the bongo sound and the cricket nature samples.
*8. waltzy rhythm, angelic female vocals with quite a bit of reverb, totally spaced out. starts rocking out midway, ends with noisy guitars
9. think of a Tom Waits dark lounge song sang by a woman in French
10. starts slow and droney, picks up after a minute or so into another waltzy dark ballad
*11. dark and noisy with weird female background vocals. moves all over the place.
*12. very old school jazzy feel to this one. wow, her voice is really good
13. crowd samples. very chilled and mellow, nice piano
*14. long drony experimentation with samples taken from an old rebetiko song. excellent soundbed
15. short spoken sample, then about 4:30 of absolute silence followed by little lullaby like song