|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Feb 2009|
|Label:||Putumayo World Music|
|Add Date:||2009-02-14||Pull Date:||2009-04-18||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Apr 12||Apr 5||Mar 29||Mar 22||Mar 15||Mar 8||Mar 1||Feb 22|
|1.||Jul 08, 2023:||Music Casserole
Krebo Cheo, Man Of Sorrow
|4.||Sep 22, 2011:||Happy Hour
|2.||Jan 04, 2016:||Everything A to Z week 24
|5.||Sep 02, 2010:||Happy Hour
Steppin' Into Zion
|3.||Jul 14, 2014:||Happy Hour
Bo Ten Qu'luta
|6.||Dec 19, 2009:||Best Disorders of 2009
Man Of Sorrow
Reviewed by Sadie O., 2/11/09
Reggae from Africa – mostly roots bubble style, with a variety of vocals and languages. African Reggae superstars Alpha Blondy and Lucky Dube are not included – this is more the third generation of artists, including reigning top-rankers Tiken Jah Fikoly and Majek Fashek. Strong introductory comp.
No FCCs detected – all tracks good to very good.
1. 4;14 **uptempo bouncy roots bubble with lots of keyboards, sweet tenor vocals, from Cote D’Ivoire.
2. 3:07 **slightly uptempo guitar-based bubble, pretty female vocal and harmonies, in English, from Cape Verde.
3. 2:38 ***fast minimalist bubble with flute and horns, male lead and female chorus, from Burkina Faso.
4. 5:13 ***slow and bluesy skank with melodica, husky male vocals in English, from South Africa. Rather amazing life story…
5. 4:34 **dramatic intro with kora, fat midtempo skank with bit horns. Very sweet vocals, from Guinea-Bissau by way of Barcelona.
6. 3:12 ***little kid chanting intro, then midtempo roots bubble, lovely male and female vocals from a young family group from Cape Verde. Goes into dub with dancehall vocals in English.
7. 3:46 ***downtempo roots bubble with raw vocals in English – reminiscent of early Culture, nice female chorus, from Ghana.
8. 4:01 **spoken intro with koro, uptempo subdued bubble with duel vocals, from Guinea and Cote D’Ivoire, in several languages. A bit dream-like.
9. 3:20 **big intro, midtempo bubble with horn section, solo vocals. Clear Alpha Blondy influence.
10. 7:34 ***big horns and heartbeat intro, midtempo swingy skank with big horns and jazz/afrobeat influence. Husky vocals in English, from Nigeria. Lots of jam and improv in last half of song.