|Various Artists / Rock On: Greatest Hits From The Observer Label|
|Album:||Rock On: Greatest Hits From The Observer Label||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Apr 2008|
|Add Date:||2008-04-06||Pull Date:||2008-06-08||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Jun 8||Jun 1||May 25||May 18||May 11||May 4||Apr 27||Apr 20|
|1.||Jul 29, 2018:||Clean Copper Radio |
Weeping-Water Rate (12")
|4.||May 31, 2008:||New World Disorder |
We Got Love, Temptation, Botheration And Tribulation
|2.||Jun 25, 2010:||Elite Syncopations |
Temptation, Botheration And Tribulation
|5.||May 24, 2008:||Disorder Lost, Disorder Found |
|3.||Jun 07, 2008:||New World Disorder |
My Heart Is Clean-Gate Number (12")
|6.||May 17, 2008:||New World Disorder |
Blood And Fire (12")
Rock On: Greatest Hits from the Observer Label|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 4/2/08
Roots rock Reggae produced by Niney the Observer way back in the 70’s. A few really top hits here, and many tracks are the 12” versions with toasts. Terrific stuff – great singers, great musicians, from the classic era of roots Reggae.
No FCCs detected. All great stuff; I like 1, 3, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14 best.
1. 6:12 ***kind of a muddy mix, but one of Gregory’s greatest songs, complete with toast.
2. 5:10 **midtempo skank, great Black Uhuru hit in an early version by the lead singer. Very rootsy and minimalist. Includes the dub, which is mostly bass and hi-hat.
3. 3:08 ***bouncy roots rock skank, sweet vocals, big soul hit.
4. 3:34 *bouncy skank, soulful vocals. Ken Boothe was a very underappreciated vocalist here.
5. 5:56 *very swingy, slightly uptempo bubble. Fine but almost unknown vocalist.
6. 3:02 **chugging midtempo riddim, fine semi-chanted vocals.
7. 7:23 ***count-off intro, swinging skank, terrific tenor vocals, and a toast by Dillinger – how cool can you get?
8. 5:40 ***Gospel-flavored chorus, fine tenor vocals, spoken word. Amazing that Niney concentrated on producing others, when he was a terrific vocalist himself. Includes the “version”.
9. 2:38 ***swingy dub skank, one of Gregory’s most seductive hits. If this don’t get your knickers soaked, you’re just not paying attention!
10. 2:27 *same riddim as track 9, rather uninspired female vocals, but some nice added drumwork.
11. 2:47 **midtempo skank, great Rasta diatribe by Mr. Smart.
12. 2:26 ***downtempo skank, fantastic vocals and harmonies by the Mighty Diamonds.
13. 3:13 ***downtempo slinky riddim, more great vocals by yet another of the greatest “power of the trinity” vocal groups. Nice horns and percussion, too.
14. 9:08 ****bouncy downtempo skank, terrific vocals, some great dub – and toast by I-Roy. And it’s long enough to go get lunch while it’s playing!
15. 2:49 *starts with a bit of skit, then very pretty rock steady.
16. 2:25 *uptempo skank. A bit muddy, but nice vocals.
17. 3:16 **downtempo very roots skank, vocal harmonies in quite thick patois.