|Various Artists / Box Of Dub: Dubstep And Future Dub|
|Album:||Box Of Dub: Dubstep And Future Dub||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Aug 2007|
|Label:||Soul Jazz Records|
|Add Date:||2007-08-26||Pull Date:||2007-10-28||Charts:||RPM/Electronica, Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Oct 21||Oct 7||Sep 30||Sep 16||Sep 9||Sep 2|
|1.||Mar 13, 2020:||KZSU Training Hour |
|4.||Jan 18, 2015:||cease and desist |
|2.||Sep 24, 2015:||subwoofer etc |
|5.||Jan 11, 2015:||the springfield law review |
|3.||Feb 22, 2015:||pause tape |
|6.||Dec 16, 2014:||night court |
Box of Dub: Dubstep and Future Dub|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 8/21/07
Dubstep (downtempo electronic dub) collection from Soul Jazz (UK). Most of the riddims involve one-drop, and it’s definitely dub, but definitely several steps off from roots rock Reggae. A few vocals, but mostly very heavily processed, music is generally rather laid-back and more or less trance-y. Electronica and experiemental fans especially should check this.
No FCCs detected, 4 and 12 are especially good.
1. **starts with subtle shuffling syncopation. Slowly adds layers of instrumentation to a slow, slinky skank, stays pretty subtle and low-key.
2. **rather random beats and noises, very reggae-based (but glitchy and processed) singing, but disjointed beats. Very electronic and you can’t dance to it, but pleasant.
3. **extremely low-key keyboards intro, very cool beat after 30 seconds. It and few bits of subtle keyboards are pretty much the track… Ends over a minute shy, comes back with some bass, LONG fade.
4. ****slow but strong dubby skank. Lots of extra percussion and electronics make for a very complex riddim. Love this! Group name is a take off of a classic early dub album.
5. ***random electronics for 15 seconds, then a sort of slow “Stairway to Heaven” beat for a few more seconds, then lots of electronics – does sound very subaqueous, actually. Beat goes in and out with lots of crazy sounds.
6. *electronic hum and beats – nothing remotely analog sounding, except heavily processed vocals in the background. Beat gradually builds elements and partially drowns out the irritating hum. Slow fade.
7. ***random noises intro, somewhat slow and highly syncopated riddim after about 20 secs. I sure can’t dance to this, but it’s fun, with crazy noises. Bits of vocals “You can make it if you try.”
8. *mellow club riddim and bits of female vocals. Fades to almost nothing in middle, comes back same as before.
9. *beats and chords and honks, and tiny bits of vocals barely distinguishable as “guilty”. Slow and sparse.
10. **electronics and slow riddim, processed but understandable male vocals. Cool slithery sounds. Kind of a love song, but creepy. Ending is just bits of electronics.
11. ***classic electronic squeepy noises, trumpet flourishes… downtempo strong skank. Simple and minimalist, but nice.
12. *****random and mellow intro for about half a minute, then slightly downtempo funky electronic skank/march – I LOVE this riddim! It makes me HAPPEEEEE!!