|Album:||Godfada (Featuring Ginger)||Collection:||Reggae|
|Artist:||Rankin' Scroo||Added:||Jan 2007|
|Add Date:||2007-01-28||Pull Date:||2007-04-01||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Apr 1||Mar 18||Mar 11||Mar 4||Feb 18||Feb 11||Feb 4|
|1.||May 27, 2013:||Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC on Memorial Day)
|4.||Apr 18, 2011:||Happy Hour
|2.||Aug 06, 2012:||Happy Hour
|5.||Nov 13, 2007:||Happy Hour
|3.||Aug 15, 2011:||Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC)
|6.||Mar 31, 2007:||New World Disorder
Reviewed by Sadie O., 1/24/07
Interesting mix of low-key hip hop with Reggae and dancehall, by Hawaii’s original reggae artist, who long ago moved here to the Bay Area and set up shop in Oaktown. I don’t know whether the mellow flavor comes from Hawaii (where the Reggae is sugar-cane sweet) or underground hip hop, but combined with gangsta lyrics and attitude it’s certainly interesting. The CD was originally released on an Athens label back in 2001, but it’s now being released on Rankin’ Scroo’s own Crucial Youth label and going for adds once again.
FCCs all seem to be in the interludes. I love track 10.
1. 0:38 FCCs – avoid. Tingly electronics and spoken gangstalude
2. 3:32 **mellow, somewhat downtempo reggae/underground hip hop, dancehall delivery. Subdued beat, pretty guitar, interesting take on dancehall.
3. 3:23 **similar musically to track 2, rather ethereal electronics, dancehall rap, bits of singing.
4. 3:53 ***mellow and downtempo love song, interesting vocals, acoustic guitar.
5. 3:42 ***rather downtempo with lots of hip hop overtones, but mostly sung lyrics, gangbanger lyrics, oddly melancholy feel.
6. 3:38 ** midtempo, fairly insistant but low-key riddim.
7. 2:52 ***bit of preaching intro, midtempo snakey skank, Rasta lyrics, cool.
8. 3:10 ***downtempo but strong and nicely syncopated dancehall riddim, all about girls – silly, but a very nice sound.
9. 0:20 *20 seconds of hip hop beat and Jamaican chat
10. 3:42 ****heavy metal! Fun combo of dancehall and metal guitars, fun lyrics.
11. 0:17 FCC “shit” bit of beat and guy talking
12. 0:25 piano and bit of indistinguishable talking
13. 3:58 ***downtempo dance reggae/hip hop riddim, pick up lyrics. Rather generic vocals but really nice beat.
14. 4:06 **mellow, sweet dancehall riddim, pretty love song. Commercial aspects, but another great beat…
15. 4:19 ***very subdued intro, downtempo minimalist dancehall beat, dancehall delivery
16. 3:21 **midtempo dancehall with electronics and piano, nice lyrics about partnership.
17. 3:54 **slightly downtempo dancehall, slinky riddim and suggestive lyrics (incl: “touch your g-spot” – ha!) Bit of Ginger singing. Very sleepy bedtime stuff.
|3.||Lyrical Tongue||11.||Keak Endorsement|
|5.||California Gangster||13.||Call Me|
|6.||Bad Treatment||14.||I Want You So|
|17.||Love No Other|