|Artist:||Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood||Added:||Sep 2006|
|Add Date:||2006-11-12||Pull Date:||2007-01-14||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||Jan 14||Jan 7||Dec 24||Dec 17||Dec 10||Dec 3||Nov 26||Nov 19|
|1.||Jul 11, 2022:||Rebop
|4.||Feb 09, 2014:||Funk to Folk
Down The Tube
|2.||Sep 29, 2015:||That's Not Bluegrass
Tootie Ma Is A Big Fine Thing
|5.||Dec 10, 2013:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon
|3.||Jun 23, 2015:||that's Not Bluegrass
|6.||Nov 12, 2013:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon
Funky and Jazzy- Guitar, organ, drums, and bass. Scofield plays with Medeski Martin & Wood as part of the band. Although he is very present on the album, the four play as a cohesive unit with a sound that equally blends Scofield’s style with Medeski Martin & Wood’s. In addition to the superb musicianship on display, the album is incredibly well produced; it is very well mixed, every voice is distinct and clean, and contains many interesting, new textures.
Ray Futia 3-31-2016
Suggests: 1, 5, 9, 11
1. Little Walter Rides Again* – 3:55 Driving track with a catchy melody in which all 4 members are very present in the mix.
2. Miles Behind – 2:53 Very heavy, rocking track. Almost Hendrix-like but with distinct Scofield guitar licks and Medeski B3
3. In Case the World Changes Its Mind – 3:41 Slow, laid back groove. Very interesting, weird textures are layered in on top as the lead- sounds like distorted harmonicas layered in octaves.
4. Tequila and Chocolate – 6:25 Latin feel. Both the organ and guitar are heavily distorted. The organ sounds a little like an accordion at times.
5. Tootie Ma Is a Big Fine Thing* – 4:42 Driving rendition of a traditional brass band tune. Awesome, soulful upright bass. Great bass and drum solos/fills.
6. Cachaça – 4:14 Rooted in a very strong bassline with interesting keys that sound like 50’s B movie organ layered over piano. Features noodling guitar.
7. Hanuman – 6:24 Driving. Weird woodwind like textures give it a bit of a spacey feel.
8. Telegraph – 3:55 Begins slow with various mellow sound effects over a minimal bassline. The band slowly layers in, but the track remains very subdued.
9. What Now* – 4:54 Heavy. Starts out very driving but eases into a bluesy groove under crackly, distorted organ and meatier guitar than on previous tracks.
10. Julia – 5:18 Beatles cover. Sweet, dreamy rendition.
11. Down the Tube* – 11:40 Very interesting rhythms with sporadic bursts of guitar and organ gives way into a very funky groove. Exploratory jam- the mood changes quite a bit throughout. The track evolves minute by minute building and releasing tension along the way.
12. Legalize It – 3:55 Organ heavy jamming. Very cool upright bass solo toward the end.
|1.||Little Walter Rides Again||7.||Hanuman|
|3.||In Case The World Changes Its Mind||9.||What Now|
|4.||Tequila And Chocolate||10.||Julia|
|5.||Tootie Ma Is A Big Fine Thing||11.||Down The Tube|