|Tagoe, Nii / African Roots|
|Artist:||Tagoe, Nii||Added:||Feb 2006|
|Label:||Arc Music Inc.|
|Add Date:||2006-02-26||Pull Date:||2006-04-30||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||Apr 23||Apr 9||Mar 19||Mar 12||Mar 5|
|1.||Mar 18, 2023:||Music Casserole |
|4.||Dec 20, 2012:||Cacao! |
|2.||Mar 07, 2019:||Cafe Nakhil |
|5.||Jul 21, 2012:||Bouge Mood |
|3.||Jan 09, 2013:||Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon |
|6.||Sep 23, 2009:||Getting Over the Hump |
Tagoe, Nii – African Roots (Arc Music)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 2/14/06
Master African drummer and dancer from Ghana plays updated roots dance music. Emphasis on hand drums (check out all the different drums pictured in the booklet), with a few more modern instruments, sweet tenor vocals (some call and response), Ghanan dance beats. Even the uptempo stuff has a rather relaxed feel – all very pretty.
Tracks 6-9 and 11 have no modern instrumentation, 8 has only vocals, 6, 9 and 10 are instrumentals. Other than that it sounds a lot alike (which doesn’t mean it’s not good, just that it’s hard to pick tracks. I liked 1 and 9, just because.
1. **Starts with short drum flourish. Uptempo but relaxed rolling rhythm with xylophone and drums, some call and response.
2. Midtempo, big drums and electric guitar. A bit moody in tone.
3. Midtempo, starts very sparce, then guitars come in. Again somewhat wistful sounding, rolling rhythm.
4. Midtempo, electric guitar and horns. Short bit in middle with just drums. Odd solo guitar ending.
5. Midtempo, lots of vocals and electric guitar.
6. Slightly uptempo, no modern instrumentation, pipes that sound like Andean pan pipes. Cool beat, instrumental.
7. Midtempo, thumb piano and talking drum, no modern instrumentation.
8. Only vocals, call and response, harmonies (some nice, some odd). No beat.
9. **Big drums and flutes. Both a greeting song and a lullaby, instrumental.
10. Relaxed, almost Caribbean sounding vibe, electric guitars (very mellow), sweet instrumental.
11. All drums and cowbells, call and response chanting. Cool beat, a bit uptempo.
12. Uptempo but relaxed, guitars and jazzy dance beat.
|3.||Tsutsublema||9.||Ah lo be eh|