|Album:||Outside The Wall||Collection:||World|
|Artist:||Han, Mei||Added:||Sep 2005|
|Add Date:||2006-01-15||Pull Date:||2006-03-19||Charts:||Reggae/World, Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||Mar 19||Feb 26||Feb 12||Jan 22|
|1.||Jul 27, 2011:||Killer Brown
Bamboo, Silk And Stone
|4.||Mar 13, 2006:||banana in the middle 1.8: chinese
3 Variations On The Theme Of Plum Blossom
|2.||May 16, 2011:||Moose Ain't Here Right Now
Purple Lotus Bud
|5.||Feb 24, 2006:||No Cover, No Minimum
|3.||Apr 16, 2011:||Music Casserole
|6.||Feb 07, 2006:||Eclectica: more mustaches?
Za Discs, 2005
CHINA/CANADA – Han is an ethnomusicologist and master of the zheng, a 21-stringed Chinese zither. This disc consists mostly of new or recent works (1967-2005) by modernist composers, all but two are solo pieces. The zheng is a very versatile instrument, and Han gets a wide range of textures and moods from it, with near-silent plucking at one moment and a bold harplike sweep the next. This is serious art music, well rendered.
Traditionalists, try 1 & 2. Experimentalists, try 8 & 9.
1. 6:29 – medley of old court tunes: quiet and pensive at first, then upbeat
2. 9:38 – a dramatic, tricky, and very expressive piece written for Japanese koto.
3. 6:36 - 4th-century song(!) in 3 variations: slow & serious, gently folksy, and back
4-7. a short suite: first quiet, then bolder with complex structure and big spaces. About 6 minutes total.
8. 16:22 – with string quartet!: abstract strings and spare zheng blossom into a wistful melody with almost Appalachian touches, then roam through many moods/modes, from gentle and pastoral to raw and scary, using both Chinese and European classical ideas.
9. 9:20 – electro-acoustic work with other instruments manipulated on tape, very atmospheric and unsettling, with a big crescendo midway through.
|1.||Xi'an Medley||5.||Outside The Wall: Motion|
|2.||The Greening||6.||Outside The Wall: Transformation|
|3.||3 Variations On The Theme Of Plum Blossom||7.||Outside The Wall: Release|
|4.||Outside The Wall: Perception||8.||Purple Lotus Bud|
|9.||Bamboo, Silk And Stone|