|Artist:||Chairman Dances, The||Added:||Jan 2023|
|Add Date:||2023-02-08||Pull Date:||2023-04-12|
|Week Ending:||Apr 9||Apr 2||Mar 26||Mar 19||Mar 12||Mar 5||Feb 26||Feb 19|
|1.||Apr 15, 2023:||Music Casserole
|4.||Mar 24, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
|2.||Apr 07, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
|5.||Mar 23, 2023:||Hanging In The Boneyard
Alone At Waverly
|3.||Mar 31, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
|6.||Mar 21, 2023:||Virtually Happy
Contemplative, mostly quiet indie folk rock from the Philadelphia-based five-piece band. 8th full-length album since 2011. Produced and recorded by Daniel Smith (Sufjan Stevens, among others). An intriguing collection of short stories and poems written and set to music by lead singer-songwriter, Eric Krewson. The songs contemplate “nothing out of the ordinary—a phone call, a plum, a chintzy party hat…” according to the liner notes. But from Krewson’s perspective, these “small comforts” are what bring meaning and joy to our lives. RIYL: Sufjan Stevens or laid-back, mystical theatrical tunes.
Recommended: 2, 1, 4, 5. No FCCS detected.
1. (5:24) Alone at Waverly — Mid-tempo. Simple, piano- and guitar-based ditty written from the perspective of an older widower living out his later years away from his grown kids. ***
2. (6:36) A Year Spent Floating — Mid- to up-tempo. Playful, piano-based romp, with some electric guitar trappings and harmonized vocals in the chorus — especially rich and nice during the long trail-out. A look back at how every aspect of life changed during the pandemic. ***
3. (5:12) Everything Slant — A free-verse poem set to a glistening guitar-based sound bed with lush vocals and harmonies.
4. (4:30) Small Comforts — Bouncy indie folk pop, with repetitive synth, busy bass line and a trip hop beat. Another original free-verse poem, this time inspired by William Carlos Williams’ poem, To a Poor Old Woman. ***
5. (4:12) Margaret — 50s church choir-like throwback tune. Beautiful, shimmering piano, harpsichord and guitar lullaby. Lovely harmonies. ***
6. (4:23) The Day’s Length — Delicate, dreamy piano and guitar ballad with swelling cymbals and overlapping vocals.
7. (1:02) Log Off — Nice, mostly instrumental close to this thoughtful set of songs. Log off.
|1.||Alone At Waverly||4.||Small Comforts|
|2.||A Year Spent Floating||5.||Margaret|
|3.||Everything Slant||6.||The Day's Length|