|MUNA / MUNA|
|Add Date:||2022-10-30||Pull Date:||2023-01-01|
|Week Ending:||Jan 1||Dec 25||Dec 18||Dec 11||Dec 4||Nov 27||Nov 20||Nov 13|
|1.||Jan 13, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Anything But Me
|4.||Dec 27, 2022:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants |
|2.||Jan 02, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler |
What I Want
|5.||Dec 23, 2022:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Anything But Me
|3.||Dec 30, 2022:||KZSU Time Traveler |
Home By Now
|6.||Dec 20, 2022:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants |
What I Want
Radio-friendly indie synth pop. Third release from this all-female trio who met while at USC. The three women, led by singer-songwriter Katie Gavin, are “unapologetically queer,” and many of the tracks on the album speak with intelligent insight into their day-to-day lives, relationships and choices. After leaving RCA Records, this album on Phoebe Bridgers’ Saddest Factory Records has received rave reviews from critics, including Pitchfork. The songs are mostly upbeat, joyful and confident — with musical hooks and dance club vibes — while offering a lot of variety among the 11 tracks.
Highly recommended: 9, 2, 1, 5, 4, 10, 11. No FCCs noticed.
1. (3:21) Silk Chiffon (featuring Phoebe Bridgers) — Strummy opener, with march-like rhythm building under. Big anthemic choruses. Features Phoebe Bridgers on the 2nd verse and perhaps in the choruses. ****
2. (4:03) What I Want — Propulsive synth pop. Thumping beat with jittering synth under and arpeggio flourishes from time to time. ****
3. (3:43) Runner’s High — Swelling, airy, synth-driven ballad with soaring, sweet vocals.
4. (4:29) Home By Now — Fun, galloping romp with an uplifting vibe. Deep throaty vocals in the verses. ****
5. (4:06) Kind Of Girl — Change of pace! Strummy with a folk flavor. Pedal steel guitar moans in the distance. Sorrowful vocals. ****
6. (3:40) Handle Me — Mid-tempo with a stop-and-go rhythm. Slightly jazzy. Mix of guitar and synth.
7. (2:54) No Idea — Poppy tune with a powerful beat and edgy synths underscoring the bold lyrics.
8. (2:21) Solid — Halting and coarse synth pop. Growling, with big backing vocals in the choruses.
9. (3:33) Anything But Me — Synth pop anthem with really clever lyrics and exceptional vocals. Huge hooks in the choruses. ****
10. (3:11) Loose Garment — Flowing ballad within a synth string landscape. Airy vocals. ***
11. (3:52) Shooting Star — Lilting synth pop closer. Wistful and sentimental. Simple rhythm. Again a hint of pedal steel — perhaps a synth rather than a guitar. ***
|1.||Silk Chiffon (Featuring Phoebe Bridgers)||6.||Handle Me|
|2.||What I Want||7.||No Idea|
|4.||Home By Now||9.||Anything But Me|
|5.||Kind Of Girl||10.||Loose Garment|