|Jain, Arushi / Under the Lilac Sky|
|Album:||Under the Lilac Sky||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Jain, Arushi||Added:||Oct 2022|
|Add Date:||2023-02-08||Pull Date:||2023-04-12||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||Apr 9||Mar 26||Mar 19||Mar 12||Feb 26||Feb 19||Feb 12|
|1.||May 11, 2023:||Run-Away Radio |
My People Have Deep Roots, Richer Than Blood
|4.||Apr 15, 2023:||Music Casserole |
Look How Far We Have Come, Richer Than Blood
|2.||Apr 25, 2023:||Up the Beanstalk |
My People Have Deep Roots
|5.||Apr 06, 2023:||Run-Away Radio |
Richer Than Blood
|3.||Apr 20, 2023:||Run-Away Radio |
Richer Than Blood
|6.||Apr 04, 2023:||Exploring the ul-A file |
Look How Far We Have Come
STANFORD ALUM! Based in New York and New Delhi, Arushi Jain is a composer whose work brings together Hindustani classical music and modular synthesis. The record label describes this album as a collection of "ambient synth ragas intended to be heard during the sunset hours." Jain weaves her voice beautifully, sometimes very subtly, throughout these massive-sounding pieces. Where a lot of modular synth records sound academic or blankly new-agey, Jain develops these pieces with care and takes them to rapturously beautiful places. RIYL Suzanne Ciani, Ana Roxanne, Ustad Zia Mohiuddin Dagar, Mabe Fratti, Ian William Craig, Kara-Lis Coverdale, Dania. All tracks are great, but 1, 2, 4 are excellent places to start. No FCCs detected.|
1. *(3:35)—Immense. Prominent multitracked voice. Certain drone textures sound distorted almost like metal or shoegaze.
2. *(9:08)—Lots of echoing voice, deep synth bass. A fluttering lead melody splits into several skyward strands. Ends with a feeling of heroic serenity.
3. (9:54)—Roaring drone to begin, sparkling high tones. Gradual denouement.
4. *(4:00)—Volcanically deep drone, with vocals beginning right away. Rolling, soaring.
5. (9:42)—Laser pulses at start and end, a more overt rhythm. Lots of high tones, crystalline and organ-like melodies. Hyperactive middle with occasional cicada blasts.
6. (12:43)—Quick fade-in, bleeping sounds. High, pinging, swirling melodies set a fast rhythm for the middle third. In the final third, glitchy vocals pair with jetlike synth lines thundering past.
|1.||Richer Than Blood||4.||My People Have Deep Roots|
|2.||Look How Far We Have Come||5.||Cultivating Self Love|
|3.||The Sun Swirls With You||6.||Under The Lilac Sky|