|Irreversible Entanglements / Open The Gates|
|Album:||Open The Gates||Collection:||General|
|Label:||International Anthem Recording Co.|
|1.||Jun 08, 2022:||Some Songs Without Words |
Lágrimas Del Mar
Heavy, intense, hypnotic, on-the-vanguard jazz quintet from Chicago, featuring Camae Ayewa (Moor Mother) on spoken vocals. Powerful grooves, bordering on free jazz but with more rhythm and texture than noise, focused and controlled, elevated further by the calm strength of Ayewa's speech. RIYL Sun Ra, Angel Bat Dawid, Ben LaMar Gay, the Art Ensemble of Chicago (Ayewa is currently a member), Tortoise, Don Cherry, anyone on International Anthem or Astral Spirits. Favorites: 1, 2, 3. No FCCs detected.|
1. *(2:39)—Medium-fast. Clicking beat, hand drums, steady bass line, waves of horns. "We arrive! Energy time!"
2. *(13:42)—Mid-tempo opening with synth washes. Mellow to start. Reaches a spacious, driving groove with faded horn. Picks up in speed and frantic energy in the second half.
3. *(8:04)—Cruising hard bop. Double horns playing similar riffs in and out of sync. Synth noise creeps in. Gradually rising energy, a riptide of rhythms and textures.
4. (7:21)—Starts free tempo, very fast drum soloing. Light-footed rhythm, just drums and vocals for a while. Intense sax solo. Slow-burn end.
5. (20:40)—Free tempo, calming but focused. Light percussion, soft and lyrical horn. Nice bass solo around the five minute mark, picks up slightly but remains low-key until about fourteen minutes in, when a heavier groove takes over.
6. (10:31)—Free-tempo and haunting, focused on sound and texture, exploratory like Sun Ra or the Art Ensemble of Chicago.
7. (10:49)—Deep bowed bass, frenetic drums, harsh sax. Densely textured. Slow groove evolves.
|1.||Open the Gates||4.||Storm Came Twice|
|2.||Keys to Creation||5.||Water Meditation|
|3.||Lágrimas Del Mar||6.||Six Sounds|
|7.||The Port Remembers|