|Advance Base / Wall of Tears & Other Songs I Didn't Write|
|Album:||Wall of Tears & Other Songs I Didn't Write||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Advance Base||Added:||Feb 2022|
|Add Date:||2022-08-21||Pull Date:||2022-10-23|
|Week Ending:||Oct 23||Oct 16||Oct 9||Oct 2||Sep 25||Sep 18||Sep 11||Sep 4|
|1.||Dec 29, 2022:||Traditions |
Love at the Five & Dime
|4.||Dec 03, 2022:||Music Casserole |
Sweet Old World
|2.||Dec 15, 2022:||Traditions |
Easy's Gettin' Harder Every Day
|5.||Nov 23, 2022:||Run-Away Radio |
How Can You Live If You Can't Love How Can You If You Do
|3.||Dec 08, 2022:||Traditions |
|6.||Nov 16, 2022:||Run-Away Radio |
Master songwriter Owen Ashworth (formerly Casiotone for the Painfully Alone) calls this covers album "an album-length karaoke performance," done with his characteristcally spare and poignant arrangements for keyboard and drum machine. (Fun fact: Ashworth regularly listened to KZSU when he was a teenager in Redwood City.) Here he interprets several country-folk songs, including three by John Prine, as well as a few tunes by artists on the label Orindal Records, which he runs. Charming, earnest, smart, cozy. Favorites: 3, 4, 5, 6. No FCCs detected.|
1. (3:27)—Written by Richard Leigh and Peter McCann. Medium-slow, with thick low-end.
2. (4:05)—Written by Lucinda Williams. Medium-slow. Slow dance to close out the disco.
3. *(4:26)—Written by Nanci Griffith. Mid-tempo. Endearing story song about a couple's ups and downs, lovely pedal steel solo.
4. *(2:49)—Written by Karla Matana Hartzman of the band Wednesday. Slow, with synth wobbles. Music for a slo-mo walk.
5. *(4:35)—Written by Iris Dement, with superb lyrics about a languishing life. Very slow, devastating, the standout. So well done that Iris Dement bought it on Bandcamp herself.
6. *(2:16)—Written by John Prine. Spare, just slow and peaceful keyboard chords for accompaniment. "Probably wouldn't believe you if you told me / what I never knew and never will forget."
7. (3:36)—Written by John Prine. Slow, with gentle keyboard.
8. (3:49)—Written by John Prine. Slow, watery beat and organ. "If heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV."
9. (3:35)—Written by Dan Wriggins of the band Friendship. Medium-slow, somewhere between grand and weary.
10. (3:44)—Written by Gia Margaret. Another end-of-the-night slow dance.