|Artist:||Bribes, The||Added:||Jan 2020|
|Add Date:||2020-01-22||Pull Date:||2020-05-06|
|Week Ending:||Mar 8||Mar 1||Feb 23||Feb 16||Feb 9||Feb 2||Jan 26|
|1.||Nov 04, 2021:||Run-Away-Radio (rebroadcast from Feb 6, 2020)
|4.||Apr 03, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler
|2.||May 02, 2020:||Hanging in the bone yard
|5.||Mar 06, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler
|3.||Apr 10, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler
|6.||Feb 28, 2020:||KZSU Time Traveler
Local, guitar-driven indie rock. The Bribes are a Bay Area trio headed by lead singer and songwriter, Philip Toscano. This album reflects a time of personal changes following Toscano’s relocation from Chicago to San Francisco a few years ago and the death of his father. From the band’s bio sheet, “(Toscano) distills the majesty and drama of classical music and jazz, and the urgency of early rock n’ roll into an aesthetic that’s both earthy and elegant.” RIYL: The Strokes, Black Keys.
Recommended: 1, 6, 8, 3. No FCCs detected.
1. (4:27) Mars — Mid-tempo pop-rock. Beatles-esque — with fuzzy guitars, harmonized vocals and bongos. Ends quietly. Definitely the single. ****
2. (3:01) Consonance, Dissonance — Syncopated, almost island beat. Melodic passages contrasting with dissonance at times. Clashy, splashy rhythm features.
3. (4:26) Milk And Honey — Halting, blues-y guitar rock stroll. Exceptional guitar work. Throwback to the classic blues-rock of the 1960s. ***
4. (3:01) Sights And Sounds — Walking tempo. Softer with emotive vocals and tasty guitar licks.
5. (4:02) Wawona Ranch — Old-fashioned, rock opera vibe. Pulsing bass. Backbeat hi-hat. Garage rock in places. Somewhat of a Queen playfulness.
6. (4:21) In Memoriam — Lilting rock ballad — a tribute to the passing of Toscano’s father. Swaying vocals. Shimmering effects. Vocals get strident and distorted in cathartic middle. ***
7. (5:54) Descent — Picked guitar opening. Then, becomes breezy and strummy with jazzy rhythms and easy vocals…before moving forward at a stately pace.
8. (3:52) Tomales Bay — Light, strummy folk-pop — with some electric guitar noodling. Like McCartney, but not as sweet. ***
|2.||Consonance, Dissonance||6.||In Memoriam|
|3.||Milk And Honey||7.||Descent|
|4.||Sights And Sounds||8.||Tomales Bay|