|Lung Cycles / Lung Cycles|
|Artist:||Lung Cycles||Added:||Nov 2018|
|Label:||Lily Tapes & Discs|
|Add Date:||2018-11-24||Pull Date:||2019-01-26|
|Week Ending:||Jan 6||Dec 23||Dec 2||Nov 25|
|1.||Oct 22, 2020:||Stranded at Settembrini's |
|4.||Jan 05, 2019:||Narnia |
Hottest Day Of The Year So Far (4pm Version), As The Sun Stayed Down
|2.||Nov 26, 2019:||Magnetized Toner: With Guest DJs Pixel and DJ Away |
|5.||Dec 21, 2018:||Old Fart at Play |
Hottest Day Of The Year So Far (4pm Version)
|3.||Jan 31, 2019:||Being as an ocean |
As The Sun Stayed Down
|6.||Dec 01, 2018:||Narnia |
As The Sun Stayed Down
Sprawling and captivating ambient folk, miles above most bedroom Bandcamp music in this vein. Originally the solo project of Ben Lovell (Rochester, NY), this is now a seven-piece including previously KZSU-featured artists like Naps, The National Park Service, and Ylayali. Tape sounds, soft and resonant guitars, gentle and airy but anxious singing, waves of drone, occasional floods of static. The pieces unwind patiently. They’re epic, but not in an ostentatious or self-announcing way. It really reminds me of Sparklehorse, though it’s also like a deepening of Jason Molina/Songs: Ohia’s more textured stuff. Also RIYL Advance Base, Karima Walker, Talk West, Z Tapes. I should make the full disclosure that Ben’s released music of mine, but even without any context this is one of my very favorites of 2018. Favorites: 1+2, 3. FCC WARNING: 5.|
1. *(10:29)—Very basic and slow drum machine beat, lovely winding guitars, faded singing. Late-night weightiness. Starts moody and soft, gets increasingly ominous and grand and noisy. Fades into track 2.
2. *(7:01)—Play with track 1. Instrumental. Lovely slow fingerpicked guitar. Soft tape and field recording hiss, bird sounds, gentle background drones.
3. *(4:34)—Instrumental. Very slow, shadowy guitar interplay. Forest walk music. Somewhere between Bedhead and Loren Connors’s quiet stuff.
4. (12:04)—Soft hiss, spidery fingerpicking, droning low end. Gradual build to a staticky middle, melodic looping finish.
5. (10:03)—FCC WARNING (a*****e). Very slow, resonant electric guitar. Very gentle, some ambient noise, drifting piano and guitar.
|1.||As The Sun Stayed Down||3.||Cammal|
|2.||Hottest Day Of The Year So Far (4pm Version)||4.||Following Me Up The Stairs|
|5.||Blue Rochester Moon|