|Tyler, William / Modern Country|
|Artist:||Tyler, William||Added:||Jun 2016|
|Add Date:||2016-08-08||Pull Date:||2016-10-10|
|Week Ending:||Oct 9||Oct 2||Sep 18||Sep 11||Aug 28||Aug 21||Aug 14|
|1.||Jan 14, 2017:||Narnia |
|4.||Sep 28, 2016:||Minimum Entropy |
The Great Unwind
|2.||Oct 08, 2016:||Music Casserole |
|5.||Sep 17, 2016:||Narnia |
I'm Gonna Live Forever (If It Kills Me), The Great Unwind
|3.||Oct 01, 2016:||Narnia |
|6.||Sep 10, 2016:||Narnia |
All instrumental fingerpicked guitar, among the stalwart 21st century Fahey followers like Steve Gunn, Hiss Golden Messenger. This time around, Tyler’s joined by a band including Phil Cook and Wilco’s Glenn Kotche. The sound is spacious, warm, authentic—a throwback to the heyday of country, but with a modern wordless twist. Favorites: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7. No FCCs. |
1. (9:06) **** Highway Anxiety—Transcendent song. Ambling, pensive, unhurried. Wait till the drums kick in. One of my favorite songs of the year.
2. (5:25) *** I’m Gonna Live Forever (If It Kills Me)—Fast lilting bluesy guitar, bright, wide-eyed. Drums, piano riffs. Steve Gunn was here.
3. (3:32) ** Kingdom of Jones—Spry guitar tricks, content, lakeside atmospherics.
4. (3:17) Albion Moonlight—Slower with a patient groove.
5. (6:08) Gone Clear—Vibrant, chaotic. Lots more instruments than just guitar—I hear chimes, synths, bass, effects.
6. (4:17) ** Sunken Garden—Drums, piano, guitar. Cool and placid but with a darker undercurrent heard in the piano.
7. (8:26) ** The Great Unwind—Distortion, field recordings of birds, organ, just an epic track. Closes the album with hushed, optimistic resolution.
|1.||Highway Anxiety||4.||Albion Moonlight|
|2.||I'm Gonna Live Forever (If It Kills Me)||5.||Gone Clear|
|3.||Kingdom Of Jones||6.||Sunken Garden|
|7.||The Great Unwind|