|Petite Noir / La Vie Est Belle / Life Is Beautiful|
|Album:||La Vie Est Belle / Life Is Beautiful||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Petite Noir||Added:||Jan 2016|
|Label:||Domino Recording Company|
|Add Date:||2016-03-15||Pull Date:||2016-05-15|
|Week Ending:||May 15||May 8||May 1||Apr 24||Apr 17||Apr 10||Apr 3||Mar 27|
|1.||Feb 13, 2020:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants |
|4.||May 13, 2016:||A Visit From Drum (Friday the 13th) |
|2.||May 04, 2017:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants |
|5.||May 11, 2016:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants! |
|3.||Jun 15, 2016:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants! |
|6.||May 04, 2016:||I Like to Dance: Shake Off Your Pants! |
Wonderful, warm vocals and lyrics over groovy electronica, guitar, and drum beats. Petite Noir, a.k.a. Yannick Ilunga, is a “half-Congolese, half-Angolan, Cape Town-residing” musician with an amazingly smooth, soothing voice. He calls his genre “Noirwave,” which sounds apt to me. The lyrics of the songs on this full-length album are more varied in topic than those on his EP. PLAY!|
RIYL Hercules and Love Affair, TV on the Radio
FCC on track 11!
Recommended tracks: 2, 5, 6, 9, 10
1. (2:21) Feels like something from a jungle-themed jazz club. Ends with a drum swell before tapering off.
2. (3:51) Upbeat horns, guitar, and a bachata-esque beat with an emphatic chorus.
3. (4:22) Dark, minor key guitar and synth under singing about freedom, then a French spoken-word break.
4. (7:05) Clapping beat with screaming to “stay there” for the chorus. Ends with a hum and intermittent lyrics.
5. (3:27) Uptempo electric guitar and high hat, encouraging you to “just breeeeathe.”
6. (4:32) All sorts of singing - from falsetto to French rap - over piano and guitar.
7. (4:08) A nod to Grease’s “You’re the One that I Want,” but far less cheesy.
8. (2:57) The people are talkin’ ‘bout change! Light guitar and lovely harmonies.
9. (4:14) Female back-up vocals to a lightly funky “we’re not going down” ballad. Twangy guitar mid-way through with giggles on top.
10. (4:34) Synthy beat with horns, catchy. Ends quietly with spoken word.
11. (6:28) FCC!: “shit.” Gentle electric guitar ballad that builds really nicely.
|1.||Intro Noirwave||6.||La Vie Est Belle / Life Is Beautiful Feat. Baloji|