|Artist:||Francisco The Man||Added:||Dec 2014|
|Label:||Fat Possum Records|
|Add Date:||2014-12-12||Pull Date:||2015-02-13|
|Week Ending:||Feb 15||Feb 8||Feb 1||Jan 25||Jan 18||Jan 11||Jan 4||Dec 21|
|1.||Oct 30, 2017:||butterscotch memory: short
|4.||Feb 12, 2015:||A Visit From Drum
In My Dreams
|2.||Jun 02, 2016:||Ode to Year One
You & I
|5.||Feb 03, 2015:||Setting Fire to the Lab
It's Not Your Fault
|3.||Feb 11, 2016:||Life Aquatic
You & I
|6.||Jan 31, 2015:||Music Casserole
It's True, It's You
Reviewed by: Pixel
Shoegazey indie rock in the vein of a lo-fi Foster the People. LA-based band went through some lineup changes and relocations before this release. Pretty much everything is hidden under a blanket of noise but this band prove they work together well and know how to write 8-minute jams as well as 3-minute hooks. Male vocals and full band unless otherwise noted.
RIYL MBV, Foster the People, Tame Impala, Real Estate
FCCs: 2, 4. Favorites: 3, 5, 6, 10
1. (4:35) Slow to mid. fuzz, more fuzz, drums, high whining guitars. Rolls along at a nice pace. A lovely softness to the vocal crooning, something along the lines of “I love you, but I’m leaving you, ‘cause of something new,” obscured by noise. Ends with lonesome picking.
2. (4:21) FCC warning (bullshit). Mid to fast. Jumps in quickly – high-pitched, urgent, charged, energetic. Lyrics about getting high to get away from it all. Shame about the FCC ..
3. *(3:30) Mid to fast. Catchy without being overt radio bait. Grungy pop, pounding drums, killer riff. “Do I want to be with you or be alone, with my big ideas?” Ends abruptly. I found this one getting stuck in my head after a few plays. Play it!
4. (4:19) FCC warning (shit – barely audible). Slow to mid. Poppy, full band. Showers of pretty high notes. The drummer exhibits eloquence in simplicity. This one’s optimistic despite it being about failed relationships again. “Love is like cancer.”
5. *(8:05) Mid. Screechy lead guitar, alternately gentle and forceful. Vocals spacy and faraway. Titled “In My Dreams” and this does feel like one long, guitar-noise-filled dream.
6. *(3:39) Mid. Starts abruptly. Interesting temporal arrangement, this one has a nice slacker-happy ‘90s feel to it.
7. (3:47) Fast. Spacy noise gives way to falsettos and helllooo Foster the People. Chorus is nice and quick, but not that memorable. Dancy, upbeat, sugary, dreamy.
8. (4:14) Mid to fast. Noise everywhere. Opens on a lone riff, roughness and urgency to the singing. Enjoyed the bridge and strong bass line.
9. (8:41) Mid to fast. Many different mini-songs to this one. Drums, guitars sneak in, build up slowly. Everything comes together and explodes around 1:40 where the lead guitars and vocals start. Essentially a long, pretty energetic jam.
10. *(5:03) Slow. Disjointed keys, picking, high vox, echoes, psych dream. The mood is hard to pinpoint but it’s mellow and introspective. Slow drums towards the end of the song.
|1.||You & I||6.||It's Not Your Fault|
|2.||In The Corners||7.||Progress|
|3.||Big Ideas||8.||I Am Not|
|4.||Loaded||9.||I Used To Feel Fine|
|5.||In My Dreams||10.||It's True, It's You|