|Album:||Bloody War: Songs 1924-1939||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Various Artists||Added:||Nov 2014|
Old Time Americana. You can hear the vinyl hiss. Collection of songs originating from the American Civil War, the Spanish-American War, WWII. Tone ranges from sober to sardonic. Liner notes offer great detail. Play any. No FCCs. ~eme o.
1. Country Waltz. Willie Nelson feel. Vox/guitar
2. *Jaunty bit of gallows humor. Old-time radio feel. Fiddle, steel guitar, ukelele, vox.
3. Mournful, violin-accompanied, ends with “Taps.” Vox, piano, guitar.
4. *Pre-blues black folk tune, talk-singing. Vox, guitar.
5. Country song accented with yodeling and banjo. Vox, steel guitar.
6. Upbeat fiddle/banjo tune. A grooving tune for early line dancers.
7. Fast harmonica/guitar instrumental.
8. Country vox followed by Southern instrumental. Can see a straight line from this to some modern indie rock. Fiddle, banjo, guitar, vox.
9. *Mid-tempo song, downbeat topic, harmonized vox. Guitar, steel guitar.
10. *Fast fiddle, square-dancing rhythm. Vox, banjo, guitar.
11. Jaunty tune, harmonica accents, lyrics are the star. Vox, autoharp.
12. Mid-tempo song about a soldier’s homecoming. (Check song title for an idea of how that went.)
Vox, fiddle, guitar.
13. Old-time, bluesy, comic folk song. Harmonied vox, steel guitar.
14. Fast tune about brothers meeting on the battlefield, one wearing gray, the other in blue.
Vox, banjo, guitar.
15. *Blues duet, strong ender. If this were a busker’s tune, he would definitely get my dollar. Guitar, tambourine.