|Jones, Bessie With The Georgia Sea Island Singers And Others / Get In Union|
|Album:||Get In Union||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Jones, Bessie With The Georgia Sea Island Singers And Others||Added:||Nov 2014|
|Add Date:||2014-11-14||Pull Date:||2015-01-16|
|Week Ending:||Jan 11||Jan 4||Dec 21||Nov 23|
|1.||Jan 17, 2015:||New Zoo Emergency Crew |
|4.||Jan 02, 2015:||Clean Copper Radio |
That Suits Me
|2.||Jan 04, 2015:||Clean Copper Radio |
|5.||Dec 16, 2014:||Eclectic Erudition |
|3.||Jan 03, 2015:||Clean Copper Radio |
|6.||Nov 22, 2014:||Music Casserole |
That Suits Me
Old Time Americana. More than 50 hours of interview/performance were distilled down to this 2-cd set, “an introduction to Bessie Jones’ art” as seen through the recordings of Alan Lomax. All tracks worth a listen (read the liner notes, too). Most songs mid-tempo, between 1 & 4 mins long. Would fit in well with Americana, Blues, Country, Folk, shows with an ethnographic focus. Vox, fife, one-headed drum, 4-string fretless banjo, handclaps. No FCCs detected. ~eme o.|
1. Slow/Mid. Call and response w/handclap rhythm.
2. Mid/Slow. Solo voice intro followed by harmony.
3. Solo voice w/ handclap percussion
4. Mid/Fast. Fife, handclaps.
5. Fast. Male lead, handclaps in speedy ‘raindrop’ rhythm.
6. similar to 5
7. Solo voice, a cappella
8. *Mid/Fast. Female lead, female chorus, handclaps. Too short.
9. Solo female, a cappella.
10. Male lead, male chorus, handclaps.
11. *Female lead, male chorus. Like a barbershop quartet lead by Billie Holliday.
12. similar to 11 w/ handclaps, more solo sections.
13. Male lead, bluesy talk-sung sermon.
14. Chorus w/ handclaps.
15. Solo female, light/muted percussion (the single-headed drum perhaps)
16. Solo female, traveling song, track ends with conversation between singer/interviewer.
17. Chorus, handclaps, call and response.
18. *Solo female, pipe or hammer percussion.
19. *Solo female lead, male accent vox, reminiscent of South African chorus.
20. Solo female, sober tune sampler.
21. *Like barbershop quartet with choral accents.
22. Quavery female lead, handclaps, sing-song rhythm.
23. Interview + song demo.
24. *Solo female, a cappella
25. *7 mins. Banjo, handclaps, chorus, call and response.
1. Spiritual, solo female, handclaps.
2. *Solo female, spiritual.
3. similar to 1/2, with lullaby feel.
4. Prayer interlude.
5. Call and response between solo female and chorus, handclaps.
6. Solo voice, light drum.
7. Solo voice, choral accompaniment.
8. Chorus, fife, handclaps, banjo.
9. Female lead, handclaps, chorus.
10. Fast. Male lead, male chorus, handclaps.
11. Devotional, chorus, ends with conversation.
12. Solo voice, light drum.
13. Conversation interspersed with song.
14. Upbeat. Chorus, handclaps, male vox.
15. Upbeat. Chorus, tambourine, handclaps, call and response, ends with applause.
16. *Opens with talking, then chorus accompanied by clanking percussion.
17. *Fast. Solo voice, talk-singing, clanky percussion.
18. Opens with applause, talking, then launches into upbeat tune with foot-stomping rhythm.
19. Solo voice, somber tune.
20. Opens and ends with conversation that flanks a somber spiritual/devotional. You can hear laughter in the background from other folks in the room.
21. *Female voices in gentle harmony. Track segues to talking with ~40 secs left.
22. Slow. Pretty.
23. Opens with talking that leads into their rendition of the well-known spiritual.
24. Call and response, handclaps in a playground rhythm.
25. Male lead, male/female chorus, slow handclaps.
26. Solo voice, a goodbye song.