|Rural Alberta Advantage, The / Mended With Gold|
|Album:||Mended With Gold||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Rural Alberta Advantage, The||Added:||Oct 2014|
|Add Date:||2014-11-07||Pull Date:||2015-01-09|
|Week Ending:||Jan 11||Jan 4||Dec 28||Dec 21||Dec 14||Nov 30||Nov 23||Nov 16|
|1.||Jun 05, 2015:||Time Traveler |
|4.||Jan 02, 2015:||Time Traveler |
Runners In The Night, On The Rocks, To Be Scared, ...On The Run, The Build
|2.||Jan 16, 2015:||Time Traveler |
|5.||Dec 26, 2014:||Time Traveler |
On The Rocks
|3.||Jan 09, 2015:||Time Traveler (Top 34 of 2014) |
To Be Scared
|6.||Dec 19, 2014:||Time Traveler |
To Be Scared
Third album for this indie rock Toronto-based trio. The best way I’ve found to describe this album is “loud folk”. Male vocals are sometimes overwhelming and a lot of the tracks are pretty commonplace but there are a couple neat gems. The lyricism is quite good. Not as impressive as their first album though (it seems like Nils Edenloff learned to sing in since then, but it doesn’t have the same magic). |
Picks: 3,6, and 9
FCCS: only on track 10.
1. (2:56) Upbeat, alternates between powerful chorus and jumpy drum interludes.
2. (2:27) Male vocals very much present over the rest. Builds up in intensity, very fast paced with occasional background female hum.
3. (3:26)* A bit more rough sounding. Light buzzing with stream of cymbals. Low-key singing. Slowly builds up to dramatic blast followed by a quiet finish.
4. (3:04) Loud and fast. Intense drumming. Quite a bit of “oooh-oohh”-ing.
5. (3:27) Nice guitar riff that rises up. A bit less overwhelming than the other louder tracks.
6. (3:24)* Tranquil, but nevertheless has imposing vox. The combination of the lead and background singers is pretty neat. Melodious instrumental ending makes the track.
7. (3:46) Hurried crescendo followed by choppy, rising, (angry?), tune.
8. (2:49) Restless layered drums/guitar for most of the track with a nice quiet interlude. I can imagine the lead sweating profusely on stage while singing this.
9. (3:10)** Starts like a simple, quiet, fire camp-ish folksong, which – you guessed it – builds up to a beautifully rapid and upbeat jumble.
10. (2:50) Sluggish and melancholic but with hopeful background tone. (FCC: fuck)
11. (3:34) Powerful and angry. Sounds like a song to end an epic/heroic scene in a movie.
12. (3:59) Very much conclusion-esque if that makes sense. Strong melody on piano.
|2.||This City||8.||All We've Ever Known|
|3.||On The Rocks||9.||The Build|
|5.||Runners In The Night||11.||Not Love Or Death|
|6.||To Be Scared||12.||...On The Run|