|Midnight Faces / Fire Is Gone, The|
|Album:||Fire Is Gone, The||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Midnight Faces||Added:||Jul 2014|
|Label:||Broken Factory Music|
|Add Date:||2014-08-01||Pull Date:||2014-10-03|
|Week Ending:||Oct 5||Sep 21||Sep 7||Aug 24||Aug 17||Aug 10||Aug 3|
|1.||Oct 08, 2014:||Narnia |
Shadows, Over Again, The Fire Is Gone
|4.||Sep 19, 2014:||Octagonal Banana |
|2.||Oct 02, 2014:||Meow |
|5.||Sep 18, 2014:||Amber Waves |
|3.||Oct 01, 2014:||Narnia |
This Time, Shadows
|6.||Sep 04, 2014:||Amber Waves |
Midnight Faces: The Fire is Gone|
Synth pop. This album will plunge you back into the steamy ‘80s and you’ll love every minute of it. The male vocals are big and pure but aren’t afraid to stretch for the high note. The songs are smooth, the production value is high, and the singing is heartfelt. Occasionally you get tinkling magical ‘80s background noises. Clearly enunciated, if simple lyrics. A collaboration between a couple dudes from LA (vocalist Philip Stancil and composer Matthew Doty). This is their sophomore album. Definitely recommended. RIYL: Atlas, The War on Drugs
Recommended songs: 2, 3, 1, 4, 5
1) “Wake Me” (3:58): “The sun won’t wake me” repeated as a sort of anthem. Big, dreamy track. A single.
2) “Over Again” (4:27): Really catchy guitar riff. The vocalist gets a cool, risky key change at the end, and his voice almost cracks, but he pulls it off. Another single.
3) “Shadows” (4:56): Vocals are a bit more atmospheric here: basic vocal harmonies, simple lyrics, soaring over a synthy landscape. Repeated, simple, catchy guitar riff.
4) “Hold Tight” (5:04): Big ‘80s love song. It opens with some really trippy sounds that come back at around 3:00 and then again at the end.
5) “This Time” (3:53): Beautiful synthed flute to open. Fascinating bassy counterpoint at around 1:45. Exuberant, youthful music. “Oh, let’s just waste this time.”
6) “Give It Up” (3:39): A why-don’t-you-want-to-come-home-with-me song. Really peppy, flirty chorus.
7) “Animal” (4:44): A bit slower. “I’m just an animal / and I can’t ever stop / trying to get back to you.” The voice plays a much bigger part here, and some of the atmosphere is stripped away.
8) “The Fire is Gone” (4:41): Lyrics are a bit more interesting here. “I want to dance with the flame that kills.” Great impressionistic last twenty seconds.
|1.||Wake Me||5.||This Time|
|2.||Over Again||6.||Give It Up|
|4.||Hold Tight||8.||The Fire Is Gone|