|Strand Of Oaks / Heal|
|Artist:||Strand Of Oaks||Added:||Jul 2014|
|Add Date:||2014-08-01||Pull Date:||2014-10-03|
|Week Ending:||Oct 5||Sep 28||Sep 7||Aug 31||Aug 24||Aug 17||Aug 10||Aug 3|
|1.||Jan 08, 2015:||The Sunset Life |
|4.||Oct 02, 2014:||Meow |
|2.||Jan 01, 2015:||Meow: The Best Of 2014 |
|5.||Oct 02, 2014:||The Extended Morning |
|3.||Oct 09, 2014:||Meow |
|6.||Sep 23, 2014:||The Sunset Life |
This new release from Indiana singer-songwriter Timothy Showalter walks the line between 70s hard rock and 80s synth pop. An odd combo on the surface, but Showalter makes the fusion of the two work. On top of his raw, rich soundscapes, his highly literal lyrics and dire vocal performances make the album not just good but truly captivating. A crunchier War on Drugs or a more electronics-heavy Phosphorescent might come close to this. Oh, and there’s a tribute to Jason Molina here. Favorites: 1, 4, 5, 6. FCC WARNING 2, 8.|
1. *(3:00)—Crunchy, big, major-key southern rock (guitars courtesy of J Mascis!) with a drum machine. “I was lonely, but I was having fun.”
2. (4:06)—FCC WARNING (f***). Fast, frantic, skyward 80s synth-rock.
3. (4:29)—Mid-tempo synth pop, with a cleaner update of those drums that appear on every single 80s hit.
4. *(3:22)—Medium-slow, ringing, terse, raw anthem about wanting people to go away. Minimal coda.
5. *(4:08)—Slow, woozy, jagged, optimistic piece driven by electronics. Turns into a big “whoa-oh-oh” anthem partway in.
6. *(7:24)—The Jason Molina song. It’s built on a stark, slow Magnolia Electric Co. riff, but some heavy electronics take it past simple Molina worship. It ROCKS!
7. (3:35)—Medium-slow, quasi-“With or Without You.”
8. (5:25)—FCC WARNING(f***). A shame, because this song is a beautiful, heart-ripping portrayal of having the person you love run away from you.
9. (3:04)—Slow, plodding. Verses have a Suicide-ish beat, choruses hop into retro heavy metal territory.
10. (4:07)—Medium-slow. Verses are vocals and piano, choruses are big synthscapes with more “oh-oh-oh” vocals.
|3.||Same Emotions||8.||Mirage Year|
|4.||Shut In||9.||For Me|
|5.||Woke Up To The Light||10.||Wait For Love|