|Add Date:||2014-02-14||Pull Date:||2014-04-18|
|Week Ending:||Apr 20||Apr 13||Apr 6||Mar 30||Mar 23||Mar 16||Mar 9||Mar 2|
|1.||Apr 13, 2022:||Pumping Iron (rebroadcast from Mar 5, 2014)
|4.||Nov 19, 2014:||Radio Personality
|2.||Feb 27, 2015:||Distractions
|5.||Apr 16, 2014:||A Family Affair
|3.||Nov 21, 2014:||Time Traveler
|6.||Apr 11, 2014:||Time Traveler
The follow-up to the band’s self-titled debut in 2011. This is intricately layered, retro electro-pop full of shimmering synths, tight drum tracks and vocals that vary from soulful to disco-like. The CD is not overly commercial, as the Santa Barbara five-piece band continues to grow and forge its musical identity. Reminiscent of Depeche Mode, Lightning Dust — and even at times, Broken Bells or an updated Earth, Wind and Fire.
Recommended: 2, 3, 7, 4, 1. No FCCs detected.
1. (4:05) Domino — Light and breezy, chillwave synth-pop — without the processed vocals. Skittering drum track. Bansuri flute is prominent. **
2. (4:19) Colony Glen — Pulsing and driving. Rapid-fire bass and floating bell-like synths. One of the more melodic and catchy tracks on the CD. ****
3. (3:59) Bullet Train — Great interplay of thumping synth bass and drum line with flute flourishes. Vocals reminiscent of Broken Bells in the verses, and almost soulful in the choruses. “The young die young if they work too hard.” ***
4. (3:47) Chrysanthemums — Flowery flute opens the song. Track then becomes a piano ballad with funky bassline, light drums and plaintive vocals with female back-up singers. Again, a soulful feeling. **
5. (3:24) Echosassy — Fast-paced dance number. Multiple layers of synths over an urgent drum track. Falsetto lead vocals.
6. (5:24) Purple Mesas — Laid-back groove. Languid vocals. Perhaps meant to depict sprawling vistas, but veers toward mood music for cheap romance.
7. (4:33) Avalanche — Another standout track. Flickering rhythm created by jittery bass, solid drum track and handclaps in a swirling synth landscape — with some dark undertones. ***
8. (4:07) Minnesota — Another delicate piano ballad with raw, breathy vocals that frequently venture into minor keys.
9. (4:33) Thunder Glove — Bright, crisp guitar work in a synth atmosphere — with the energy of a pumping bassline and backbeat drums.
10. (1:25) Love Theme — Brief instrumental close. Beautiful waves of ethereal, shimmery synths.