|Pretty Lightning / There Are Witches In The Woods|
|Album:||There Are Witches In The Woods||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Pretty Lightning||Added:||Sep 2012|
|Add Date:||2012-09-28||Pull Date:||2012-11-30||Charts:||Loud|
|Week Ending:||Nov 25||Nov 4||Oct 28||Oct 21||Oct 7|
|1.||Nov 24, 2012:||The Base of A Dream is Empty |
|4.||Oct 24, 2012:||minimum entropy |
See No Evil
|2.||Nov 23, 2012:||The Deadly Tango |
|5.||Oct 17, 2012:||Catharsis |
|3.||Oct 31, 2012:||Catharsis |
|6.||Oct 03, 2012:||minimum entropy |
See No Evil
Hazy yet hotblooded rock and roll séances: this is the soundtrack to sipping on cheap bourbon while forgetting the past and future….Pretty Lightning is a small town German psych-blues duo whose debut album is also Fonal Records’ first release of any material foreign to their native Finland….At a pace that can usually be described as just plain lethargic, these dudes never quite reach a level of energy meriting the label “stoner rock,” but the swampy pentatonic explorations are there. Hell, I’m sure plenty of metalheads will be disappointed—though only at first—that “The Wizard” is not a Black Sabbath cover…. The riffs have an undeniable potency to them, like Mississippi delta blues moans steeped in Blue Cheer levels of fuzz, and inevitable comparisons to the White Stripes will be made. …These songs all crawl along at a despondent plodding pace, far too unassuming to incite the masses into an adoring frenzy. There are no anthems to stand up and cheer for; you can only sit back in your easy chair and nod your head in mellow yet rapturous acquiescence.|
Excepted from a review for Foxy Digitalis
1. *(3:23) Eerie blues ostinato, plodding but catchy, sounds like drugged-out Howlin’ Wolf worship.
2. (4:28) Slightly more modern stoner-rock vibes, think J Mascis’s Witch + lotsa hash oil.
3. (4:09) Repetitive slide guitar sounds like an incestuous backwoods nod to the “Venus In Furs” riff
4. (4:09) Crawling, menacing metal stomp, chugging E string patterns and eerie organ.
5. *(4:12) Droning organ and spaced-out chanting eventually joined by a sticky-sweet slow blues lick.
6. **(3:37) Oddly asymmetrical stoner rock riffage, occult and soaked in moonshine. Haunting. Badass.
7. (3:32) Steady backwoods stomp with some delta blues slide noodling. White Stripes + a fat blunt.
8. (5:37) A narcotic ballad drenched in hazy feedback and layers of reverb
9. (3:39) Acoustic folky vibe, still very dark. Sends shivers down your spine.
10. ***(4:10) BADASS head-nodding rocker, dare I call this “garage-doom”? Play this now.
11. (3:44) Soft hypnagogic slide guitar musing. I’m getting some Tom Waits vibes here.
|1.||Down With The Moon||6.||Old Lord|
|2.||We'd Rather Be Some Criminals||7.||Brother Gold Miner|
|3.||Blazing Bright||8.||The Sound Of Thunder|
|4.||Hail Hail||9.||An Old Wives' Tale|
|5.||See No Evil||10.||The Wizard|
|11.||The Ghostwalk #2|