|Hundred Waters / Hundred Waters|
|Artist:||Hundred Waters||Added:||May 2012|
|Add Date:||2012-11-11||Pull Date:||2013-01-13|
|Week Ending:||Jan 13||Jan 6||Dec 30||Dec 23||Dec 16||Dec 9||Dec 2||Nov 18|
|1.||May 29, 2013:||Minding The Gap |
|4.||Jan 17, 2013:||The Sunset Life |
Are / Or
|2.||Jan 18, 2013:||FOLKTRONICA |
|5.||Jan 11, 2013:||Time Traveler (Top 37 Indie CDs of 2012) |
|3.||Jan 18, 2013:||Time Traveler |
|6.||Jan 10, 2013:||The Sunset Life (2012 in Review) |
“Hundred Waters” Hundred Waters|
Highly critically acclaimed effort from this Florida quintet. Hard to define what genre this fits into. The songs embed indie folk characteristics into layers of electronica, often incorporating jazzy stylings and lots of sonic experimentation. Outstanding musicianship and high-quality production values. Lead singer is Nicole Miglis, who is classically trained in both voice and piano. A number of KZSU DJs could find something here that they really like. Take a listen!
Recommended: 11, 6, 1, 2, 10, 5. No FCCs noted
1. (6:09) Sonnet — Lilting folk sensibilities with a jazz-influenced chorus. Renaissance Faire-like waltz updated for today. ***
2. (3:49) Visitor — Lightly tripping lyrics over a glistening field of bell-like synth notes. **
3. (3:27) Me & Anodyne — Electro-jazz. Syncopated drums give this a spaced-out, samba flavor.
4. (4:33) Thistle — Glitch sounds support another jazzy composition with harmonizing vocals.
5. (4:58) Caverns — Sparkly noises all around. Ethereal, echoed vocals — sounding like they were recorded in a cavern — are underscored by backwards loops. **
6. (5:49) … – – – … — Ominous chords with machine-like clanking rhythm and soaring vocals that evolve into an uplifting church choir-like chorus and ending. Morse code title means “SOS”. Track segues directly into the following one. ***
7. (3:55) Boreal — Jazzy, Basia-like vocals. Player piano added in middle.
8. (2:31) Wonderboom — Gimmicky, drum-based piece with light vocals.
9. (2:46) Theia — Dreamy start evolving into jazzy number with electronic blurps and bleeps to spice it up.
10. (4:02) Are/Or — Jazz instrumental with intricate synth tone-based rhythm and vocals that sound like they soar from mountaintop to canyon. **
11. (4:58) Gather — Stark piano, quietly strummed guitar and rich cello underscore this beautiful, hopeful closing track. ***
|1.||Sonnet||6.||. . . _ _ _ . . .|
|3.||Me & Anodyne||8.||Wonderboom|
|5.||Caverns||10.||Are / Or|