|Add Date:||2023-03-30||Pull Date:||2023-06-01|
|Week Ending:||May 28||May 21||May 14||May 7||Apr 30||Apr 23||Apr 16||Apr 9|
|1.||Sep 01, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
|4.||Jun 16, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
Milk For Flowers
|2.||Jun 24, 2023:||Hanging In The Boneyard
|5.||Jun 10, 2023:||Music Casserole
|3.||Jun 23, 2023:||KZSU Time Traveler
|6.||Jun 09, 2023:||Totally A
Indie psych pop. 5th studio album from Welsh singer-songwriter, Huw Evans. Produced by and with musical contributions from Cate Le Bon. Often melancholy, but set to relatively catchy, uplifting melodies, providing counterpoints that recall the best of the Beatles. Interesting fusion of piano and horns throughout, with only a modicum of other instruments amidst the mesmerizing soundscapes. Evans has performed on albums by Devendra Banhart, Aldous Harding, Kevin Morby, and more. RIYL: The Beatles, Paul McCartney, softer Kinks, and Eels.
Recommended: 1, 10, 2, 3, 4, 8, 5. No FCCs detected.
1. (3:47) Milk For Flowers — Opening riff is reminiscent of Todd Rundgren’s “I Saw The Light.” Catchy, spritely pop with plinking piano and very high vocals. March-like rhythm. Some woodwinds. ****
2. (3:01) Plastic Man — Confident, bouncy strut with a throwback sound. Electric guitar and horns. A tune Bowie would be proud of. ***
3. (3:58) Suppression Street — Feels like an elegant dance procession. Silky vocals, with staccato keyboard runs. Horns in the lead break. ***
4. (4:18) I Need Him — Simple, acoustic ballad. Vocals float over playful piano, intricate bass line and some horns. A hint of pedal steel guitar. Very Paul McCartney sounding. ***
5. (5:58) Denver — Measured vocals over whimsical, clock-like synth and piano. Horns find their way in near the end of the song. **
6. (3:48) Athens At Night — Driving synth pop with Evans singing in a falsetto.
7. (5:17) Like You Do — Moving, melancholy piano ballad written as a tribute to his mother, who died of cancer in 2018.
8. (4:50) It’s A Living — Another Beatles-influenced melody. Mid-tempo piano pop over a captivating march-like rhythm. Long trail-out. **
9. (4:18) Mostly — Softly swaying piano pop. Evans’ crooning vocals rise and fall. Electric guitar in the lead break. Horns at the end.
10. (6:40) Empty Room — Beautiful, languid piano ballad, with some pedal steel Americana. Vocals drifting in the upper registers. A little clarinet in there as well. Lovely, lengthy piano and horn trail-out. ****
|1.||Milk For Flowers||6.||Athens At Night|
|2.||Plastic Man||7.||Like You Do|
|3.||Suppression Street||8.||It's A Living|
|4.||I Need Him||9.||Mostly|