|Various Artists / Traveler 06|
|Add Date:||2006-04-02|| ||Pull Date:||2006-06-04|| ||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||4 Jun||28 May||21 May||14 May||30 Apr||16 Apr||9 Apr|
[coll]: Traveler 06 (6 Degrees)|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 3/8/06
Remix sampler by a familiar, mostly World music label. We already have (or will soon have) all but one cut (Bossacucanova) in original versions. Tracks 4 and 9 have little or no “World” about them, but the others definitely qualify for the orange sticker.
No FCCs. IMO, tracks 5 and 6 are some of the hottest remixes I’ve ever heard. 2, 4, 7 and 8 are really good. The others are a bit trance-y or laid back for my tastes, but still quite nice.
1. *9:08 - Niyaz - Dilruba (Junkie XL Remix) Uptempo, handdrums, then dance beat, atmospheric noises. Cool bit of strummed bass. Gorgeous female vocals (Iranian) with effects. Pretty and floating despite fast dance beat.
2. **6:17 - Cheb I Sabbah - Esh 'Dani, Alash Mshit (Summer In Algiers Remix Temple Of Sound Vs. Cheb I Sabbah) atmospheric noises, north African stringed instrument, beat comes in very gently around 50 seconds along. Relaxed midtempo, ethereal. Spoken and sung male vocals in Arabic. Electronic humming.
3. *5:45 - MIDIval PunditZ - Ali (Banco De Gaia Remix) random electronics, chill midtempo beat. Indian chanting, male vox. Very trance-y and electronic, but pleasant.
4. **7:08 - Dierdre - Firefly (Waxxhopper's New Skool Remix) very funky, fun electronic dance beat. Female vocals, effects. Long ending. The beat is everything – good thing it’s a great beat.
5. ***4:14 - Issa Bagayogo - Touba (Kabanjak Remix) killer midtempo electronic beat. Great male vocals and female chorus (African), some effects. Just a terrific sound – top class remix.
6. ***4:36 - Karsh Kale - Manifest (Yossi Fine's Excentric Remix) Indian female and male vocals; bhangra riddim with male hiphop vocals (English). Great mix of bhangra and hiphop.
7. **4:37 - Shrift - As Far As I Can See (Dalata Remix) uptempo, highly syncopated Latin-inflected beat. Pretty female vocals (English), a bit twee, but the beat is HOT. Lotsa bwoops.
8. **3:59 - Bossacucanova - Eu Quiero Um Samba. Samba groove (uptempo and unusually energetic) and trumpet. Laid-back female vocals (Brazilian). Sweet!
9. 3:54 - The Real Tuesday Weld - I Love The Rain (Acid Rain Mix) bit of ancient record at start, bleeps. Spoken-sung male vocals (English). Extremely relaxed. Sort of charmingly naïf, if you’re charmed by that sorta thing.
10. 7:36 - Bombay Dub Orchestra - Mumtaz (The Ornament Of The Palace Remix) orchestral, lush. Tabla and high female Indian vocals. Nice relaxed beat. Sitar halfway through cut. Pretty.