|Old 97's / Graveyard Whistling|
|Add Date:||2017-05-25|| ||Pull Date:||2017-07-27|| |
|Week Ending:||25 Jun||18 Jun||11 Jun||4 Jun||28 May|
This is a great album. These dudes (and ladies?) are veterans, with over 20 years and ten albums to their name. They're known for bring "Texas alt-country stalwarts," and that is an apt description. Interesting mix of alt-rock and country. I also like the Rolling Stone description of the album, saying it offers "another boozy blast of Texas twang, train-beat percussion, and guitar grit."
1. I Don't Wanna Die in This Town // 3:58 // **Mid; good song for those who feel stuck someplace; interesting mix of country and teenage punk rock
2. Bad Luck Charm // 3:33 // ****Mid; incredible lyrics; the name says it all--romance where the singer is a bad luck charm in love
3. All Who Wander // 4:14 // ****Slow, picks up to mid; melancholy then uplifting; title says it all again--not all who wander are lost; feels folky and wistful
4. Jesus Loves You // 3:21 // ***Mid-fast; "you say Jesus loves you, I say what about me?" A new take on that phrase--the singer is competing with Jesus for his girl!
5. Good With God // 3:56 // **Brandi Carlisle is in this one which is a nice addition of a great female voice; song about being good with God but maybe not with your current or former partner
6. She Hates Everybody // 3:41 // ****Slow-mid; great, funny song about a tough lady who is nice to her man and no one else--it makes him feel special, but he's worried she might change her mind!
7. Irish Whiskey Pretty Girls // 4:19 // ***Fast-mid; more folk-y and bluegrass-y; great lyrics, including the album title: graveyard whitsling
8. Nobody // 3:18 // **Mid-slow; darker tone to this one; melancholy in an alt-rock way; good chorus and guitar solo
9. Drinkin' Song // 2:55 // ****Fast; rowdy and fun, hence the name; great lyrics
10. Turns Out I'm Trouble // 4:36 // ***slow; melancholy; great vocals but a very sad song where the singer is trying to convince someone else to turn him down because he is troubled
11. Those Were the Days // 3:57 // ****Mid; happy and great song about the golden years; lighter and more carefree than many of the other songs, but still with a degree of quirkiness and uniqueness